Conquering the world from Paradeplatz
David Sprüngli opened the Confiserie Sprüngli & Fils on Marktgasse in Zurich in 1836. From 1845 onwards Sprüngli belonged to the pioneers of Swiss chocolate producers and was instrumental in establishing the reputation still prevalent today of Swiss chocolate being the best chocolate in the world. In 1859 David Sprüngli and his son Rudolf acquired a property on the Paradeplatz in Zurich, still little frequented, in the hope that one day the train station would be built here. Unfortunately, this was not the case, which caused for many a sleepless night for the Sprüngli family. And yet soon there was active building activity taking place all around Paradeplatz. The passing-by Bahnhofstrasse developed into one of the most renowned shopping miles in the world. Today Confiserie Sprüngli takes a preferential position on the street with its store and the associated restaurant, café and bar. Sprüngli is operating fourteen stores in and around Zurich today. Another seven can be found in Basel, Bern, Winterthur, Zug and Geneva.
David Sprüngli acquires the Vogel Confectioner's Shop on Marktgasse in Zurich. The company's foundation is laid.
Chocolate production begins under the label David Sprüngli & Fils.
The confectioner on Paradeplatz is opened. It quickly develops into the best address for fine confectioner's goods and becomes the most popular meeting place on the Zurich Bahnhofstrasse.
Rudolf Sprüngli divides his company up among his two sons. Johann Rudolf is allocated the Lindt&Sprüngli chocolate factory, while David Robert comes into the ownership of the confectioner's, which today is Confiserie Sprüngli.
The two have been independent companies ever since. The Lindt & Sprüngli chocolate factory becomes an industrial operation, while Confiserie Sprüngli remains a handcrafted family-owned company.
The business premises on Paradeplatz are renovated into Art Nouveau.
The sceptre is handed on to the fourth generation in the form of Hermann Sprüngli.
The business premises on Paradeplatz are up for complete renovation.
In the fifth generation Richard Sprüngli leads the fortunes of the company.
Traffic and spatially technical advantages move the company to relocate production to Dietikon.
Eighteen stores are opened in the following years at the best shopping positions.
The nephews of Richard Sprüngli, Milan and Tomas Prenosil, take over the business.
As one of the first companies in the industry, Confiserie Sprüngli presents itself on the internet.
The production site in Dietikon is expanded and modernised.
Confiserie Sprüngli celebrates its 170th anniversary.
The shop premises, the customer consulting and the café-bar on the ground floor of the headquarters on Paradeplatz are redesigned and modernised.
The most prized delicacy of Confiserie Sprüngli, the airy-light Luxemburgerli, celebrates its 50th birthday.
The store on Stadelhoferplatz is reopened in new splendour after a complete renovation.
Confiserie Sprüngli celebrates its 175th anniversary.
The sales network is targeted for expansion with an attractive store at Bern train station and at the Geneva airport as well as a new kind of Café & Lounge at the Zurich airport.
Opening of the exclusive Boutique&Café in Dubai as the first store outside Switzerland.
Throughout its history, Confiserie Sprüngli has always considered advertising indispensable to keeping its memory fresh in customers’ minds. The evolution of Confiserie Sprüngli’s advertising is a delicious feast for the eyes.
(1) Probably the oldest poster (1880) by Sprüngli comes presumably from Paris, where poster art developed from artistic drawings. The two girls radiate grace and charm and identify themselves with the vivacious, easygoing and elegant atmosphere that was associated inseparably with chocolate for that generation.
(2) International export advertising at the end of the 19th century (1890).
(3) As early as the Belle Époque, chocolate was recommend to holiday guests and travellers. (1890)
The practice of enclosing little collectible individual pictures or series of pictures with chocolate bars, to leave the eater with something enduring, stretches back to the 1880s if not earlier. The pictures tend to feature cutesy motifs.